A healthy version of a classic Italian bake.
Prep time 30 mins
Cook time 40-50 mins
Kcal 227, Carbs 12.3g, Protein 18.2g, Fibre 8.5g, Fat 12.1g, Saturates 5.9g, Sugar 10.2g, Salt 0.9g
2 large aubergines (approx. 700g), cut into 1cm discs
2 courgettes, cut into 0.5cm strips
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2–3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 heaped tsp dried oregano
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
120g reduced fat mozzarella, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grill the aubergines and courgettes until lightly browned on each
2. Meanwhile, add the oil to a pan with the onion, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Next, add the red
pepper, stirring regularly for another 5 minutes.
3. Mix in the garlic, oregano and tomatoes, and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add some of the sauce to an ovenproof dish, top with aubergine and courgette slices, then add more
sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat until the final layer of aubergine and courgette, then
top with the remaining sauce, Parmesan and, finally, the mozzarella slices.
5. Bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve with a grind of black pepper, salad, pasta or polenta to keep the dish gluten-free.